Hi all,
   Yet another 3am night and I still can't get my MySql to work.  I
installed MySql on a cobalt Raq 4 server running Linux.  I can telnet into
the mysql directory, but can not seem to change the root pass.  I've
searched every place except the one that as the answer to my question. What
am I doing wrong.  Below is the session if you can help.

[admin admin]$ mysql
Your MySQL connection id is 16 to server version: 3.23.37

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer

mysql> show databases
    -> ;
+----------+
| Database |
+----------+
| mysql    |
| test     |
+----------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> use test;
Database changed
mysql> use mysql;
ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'mysql'
mysql> bin/mysqld -Skip-grant
    -> USE mysql;
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near
'bin/mysqld -Skip-grant
USE mysql' at line 1

Thanks in advance for any help.  :)
Shawn