Hi

Not sure here, but you have logged in as 'admin' on the system. Unless you
su to root mysql will use the same user.

try either

[admin admin]$ su -l

to log in to the system as root and then 'mysql -p' to log into mysql

or stay as admin but log into mysql as root, under mysql

[admin admin]$ mysql -u root -p

The clue is in the line

ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'mysql'

which would read 'root@localhost' if you were logged in as root

HTH, if not come back to me

Peter

Excellence in internet and open source software
Sunmaia
www.sunmaia.net
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel. 0121-242-1473