Thanks to all who responded to this posting.

The problem was due to ODBC logging turned on. When this was rectified the
system flew along like a greyhound!

I appreciate the other helpful suggestions given. The reason for moving from
Access to MYSQL is that I am moving a GIS application developed on a
standalone computer to a network environment. There is a potential of 1.9 m
employee records a year to be entered into the database - something that
Access cannot handle as I have found out to my cost! The final set up will
be a dedicated server (Linux is the aim) with clients linking in. I take on
board the issue of bandwidth and using the dbSQLPassThru option.

A fellow student put me onto MYSQL, which is proving to be the answer to my
database problems, especially with such a supportive user group out there!

Regards

Simon Ashby