Am Mittwoch, 3. Juli 2002 10:58 schrieb Elizabeth Mattijsen:
> Not meaning to put down MySQL, but have you tried this also
> with a ReiserFS filesystem?  I had a similar number of files,
> about 70 GByte worth on an ext2 filesystem.  Moved them to a
> ReiserFS filesystem and found I only needed 51 GByte.  And got
> a much faster system...

ext2 searches directories linearly. With 500.000 files in a
directory where each file is subsequently accessed in a
benchmark, you get quadratic access times.

reiserfs uses a tree structure for directories, giving you almost
linear (O(n log n)) access. It also packs tails of different
files into singular blocks, saving much space as well.

Question: Can the MySQL BLOB API access and transfer partial
blobs. That is, if you want to do the equivalent of a "file *"
to a BLOB table, the first 10 bytes or so of each BLOB must be
read in order to guess the type of the BLOB. Is it possible to
implement this efficiently using the MySQL API?

More specific: Can I efficiently read the bytes x to y from any
BLOB stored in a MySQL database?

Kristian