Am Mittwoch, 3. Juli 2002 20:43 schrieb central:
> >More specific: Can I efficiently read the bytes x to y from
> > any BLOB stored in a MySQL database?
>
> Why not just add another column, Char(3), that contains the
> file extension?

That would fix this particular case, but my thought were more
along a general comparison of BLOB and file APIs. While ext2
open is dominated by directory lookup times when opening files,
reiserfs and MySQL perform logarithmically here. On the other
hand, during read and write phases ext2 and reiserfs as well as
all other file systems have an API that allows them partial
object reads and writes as well as seeking within that object.

The question is, what does the MySQL BLOB API provide and how
does it relate to performance of applications making use of the
MySQL BLOB API?

Kristian