Hi users and developers!

I deleted the in-reply-to header as everybody misunderstood my first mail.
Please give this a thought folks, especially developers, I can help developing
it if nessecary.

I want to do transparent encryption. Like being able to choose an encryption
scheme of a table or database when created so that the data on disk is
always encrypted.

I need this as my application doesn't communicate
directly with the database. I do it via an application called tilde
(http://tilde.tildesoftware.net), sure I can patch tilde (me and some
others wrote it), but its not a good solution as I'm sure others need or at
least want the same thing.

There must be numerous of applications people use to store sensitive
data that communicates with databases but without internal support for
encryption. For examples Content Management Systems, Calendars, Business
Systems, Web Shops etc..

is there anyone out there who think this idea is any good, I think its
rather neccesarry.

In the users interface it could be implemented as CREATE:ing the table with
some extra flags, choose encryption algorithm, nums of bits etc.
And when you're asking querys we'll need a new API to be able to send
passphrases too. Or maybe encryption should only be turned on at the
database level, not the table level, so you just have to pass an extra
parameter on the mysql_real_connect()-api (the best thing is probably to
create a new API, called something like mysql_connect_wparams(), taking an
info-struct containing things like port, host, username, password, database,
ssl-option etc..) or maybe just use the database-password as passphrase for
the choosen encryption-scheme.. how strong is the PASSWORD()-funtion? is it
just some crypt(3)-variant or good shit? come with some ideas!

kind regards Tobias Bengtsson

PS. Please CC replies on the internals list to me, as I'm only on the
general discussion list

-------
Missunderstood conversation follow below:

--
`Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.'
69D6 E76A FC83 E9CA 0747  7A21 3CA3 2ABC 7A33 0551