As a minor enhancement, the innodb database could look at improving its
handling of data files.  Specifically:

1)  Provide mechanisms to allow data and log files to be filled with
zeroes while normal operations occur,
thus minimizing downtime when the database is grown.

2)  Don't store the list of data and log files in the my.cnf
configuration file, but provide separate commands to add
and remove files or partitions from these lists, and store the list
within the database.

3)  Provide more robust error recovery so that when we, say, run out of
disk space while initializing the data and
log files, we don't have to delete all the files and re-create them.

Chuck

sql query