Chuck,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Simmons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 5:24 AM
Subject: minor enhancement request -- adding files to innodb

> As a minor enhancement, the innodb database could look at improving its
> handling of data files.  Specifically:
>
> 1)  Provide mechanisms to allow data and log files to be filled with
> zeroes while normal operations occur,
> thus minimizing downtime when the database is grown.

version 3.23.50 supports an auto-extending last data file. It solves this by
extending the last data file in 8 MB blocks on demand at runtime.

Log files are less critical since they are smaller than data files, and you
do not need to add new log files because InnoDB writes to them in a circular
fashion.

> 2)  Don't store the list of data and log files in the my.cnf
> configuration file, but provide separate commands to add
> and remove files or partitions from these lists, and store the list
> within the database.

In Oracle you can do ALTER TABLESPACE and add a new data file at runtime. It
would be a nice feature, but no timetable for it is set yet.

> 3)  Provide more robust error recovery so that when we, say, run out of
> disk space while initializing the data and
> log files, we don't have to delete all the files and re-create them.

The auto-extend option fortunately reduces the probability here because much
less disk space needs to be pre-allocated.

> Chuck
>
> sql query

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
---
InnoDB - transactions, hot backup, and foreign key support for MySQL
See http://www.innodb.com, download MySQL-Max from http://www.mysql.com