jusob,
Tuesday, July 09, 2002, 10:20:36 AM, you wrote:

j> I have created a table:
j> CREATE TABLE data (no int auto_increment, topic text, author text, date date,
j> description text, file text, note longtext, name varchar(15), password (15),
j> folder text, key(no), FULLTEXT(topic,author,description,file,note));

j> Then, I would like to a FULLTEXT SEARCH in ONE (or 2 or 3) field:
j> ex: SELECT * FROM data WHERE MATCH(note) AGAINTS("text  to find");
j> error 1191: can't find FULLTEXT index matching the column list

j> same problem for MATCH(note,author), by example
j> That works only when I do MATCH(topic,author,description,file,note), so with
j> all the fields in fulltext. But that's not what I would like to do.

Set up FULLTEXT index only on column note or on note and author.

j> When I see the error message, I tried to create an other index:
j> ALTER TABLE data ADD key(note);
j> error 1170: BLOB column 'note' used in key specification without a key length

Please, check our manual. If you want to create index on TEXT ot BLOB
column, you must index only prefix of the column, not the whole
column.
       http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/n/Indexes.html

j> I have the same problem with IN BOOLEAN MODE.
j> I'm using MySQL 3.23.51

You can use full-text search with IN BOOLEAN MODE in 4.0.1

j> What should I do to use the FULLTEXT search in the desired number of fields?

You should create FULLTEXT indexes on those columns that you plan to use in your SQL
statements:

       http://www.mysql.com/doc/F/u/Fulltext_Search.html

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com