Thank-you Chuck, Ralf, Phil, Daniel, and Wouter. All your great advice worked,
and helped me device a method of attack. What I eventually did was edit the text
file itself, with vi, to add "delete from churchmail where email = '" to the
start of each line, and to add "';" to the end of each line, then sourced the
file of SQL commands.

It took a bit of digging to find out that the beginning of each line is marked by
a carot, but then it was a breeze.

Thanks to everybody for your time.
Robert