First, nice username :)

Anyhow, use the /etc/init.d/mysqld script as root to start/stop mysql,
not the safe_mysqld binary.  The init.d script really calls the
safe_mysqld binary, but ti also makes a couple sanity checks like
ensuring that the initial database files exist and are owned by the
proper user.

Example:
# /etc/init.d/mysqld start

This should get you past the problem you are currently having, which is
that mysqld can't find it's database files.  This is mostly due to
redhat's mysql rpm installing the database files in a different location
than mysql's distibution does.

Hope this helps,
Ryan Fox
[EMAIL PROTECTED]