Philip Molter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 11:44:14AM -0400, Richard Fox wrote:
> : The mysqld.log file says:
> :
> : 020717 13:05:05  mysqld started
> : 020717 13:05:05  /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file:
> : './mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)
> : 020717 13:05:05  mysqld ended
> :
> : But I do see the host.frm file:
> :
> : -rw-rw----    1 root     root         8958 Jul 17 13:04
> : /var/lib/mysql/mysql/host.frm
> :
> : How did you fix this problem?
>
> Permissions are wrong.  MySQL typically runs as mysql:mysql, not
> root:root.  If I remember correctly, there may have been a problem
> with the setup scripts that handled this.  Check the RH bug reports.
> The fix is simply to change owner/groups on the necessary
> files/directories.
>
> But Trond can give you specifics.  It still may be user error. :)

If memory serves... There were some permission problems in RHL 7,
fixed in an errata a couple of days after release.

The most common problem for a while was people running
mysql_install_db as root - the dbs will be created, but owned by
root. The database doesn't run as root, and can't write to it.

There has been a workaround for that in the initscripts as well.
--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.