Daniel,
Monday, July 22, 2002, 11:47:17 AM, you wrote:

DK> Nikolaos and Victoria,

DK> Victoria! Just like Nikolaos, I also don't know what you mean send new
DK> character sets as seen with the explanations.

DK> The first thing I have to mention that I'm not sure how MySQL string
DK> comparison works, but I think it just compares the characters at the same
DK> position (by the actual char set). Am I right?
DK> Because if I am, the problem is not the actual character sets distributed
DK> with MySQL. The problem is the METHOD of string comparison. (In case of
DK> Hungarian and in case of Greek also, I think. And maybe in case of other
DK> languages.).

DK> So, I think we should discuss it in details, but first of all I need some
DK> detailed manual about string comparison in MySQL. Where can I find it?

Well..
Look at the charsets dir, you can find *.conf files that contains 4
arrays which describe character types, lower-case and upper-case
equivalencies and sorting orders. Correctness of the result of sorting
and comparison depends on this map (sort_order[] array).
So, if you consider that result is wrong, you can create a new
character set (ex. mycharset.conf) that would provide right way for
you sorting and comparison.

You can find some notes about it at:
     http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/h/Character_arrays.html
     http://www.mysql.com/doc/S/t/String_collating.html
     http://www.mysql.com/doc/A/d/Adding_character_set.html

and also some info in the 'sql/share/charsets/README' file.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko
       <___/   www.mysql.com