Hello!

Barnali wrote:

>If you are NOT installing as root, you are trying to create mysql.sock in an area
>where
>you don't have write permission.
>what is the --prefix you supplied to ./configure ?

I'd say install as root, change owner and group of the mysql
directories, remove /tmp/mysql.sock and start mysql as user mysql.

It is ALWAYS a bad idea to start databases as root user.

Greetings
 Ralf

Ralf Narozny
SPLENDID Internet GmbH & Co KG
Skandinaviendamm 212, 24109 Kiel, Germany
fon: +49 431 660 97 0, fax: +49 431 660 97 20
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.splendid.de