Manisha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not a root. Our server is at ISP and I am trying to install mysql
> on our shared server. They have provided one user id and password with
> which I can access it. I also do not know whether mysql previously
> exists or not as mysql.sock is existing. (how to find that ?)
>
> I checked the mysql.sock file permissions it is as follows:
> srwxrwxrwx 1 mysql wheel .....mysql.sock
>

> and as it is a special file, I am unable to delete it.
> shell> rm mysql.sock command gives - permission denied
>
> Actually I tried to vi mysql.sock - but ended with something else only
>
> now how to proceed ? What shall I check ?

Ah, oki, if you are not root, it is ok, just change the

socket                = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
pid-file                = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

to places where you got write permissions (in your my.cnf file).
I'm not very sure, but maybe you must recompile your source with a
parameter that sets the config directory too (else it tries to look
somewhere in /etc, where you surely got no permissions), maybe it is
best to set --prefix=/usr/home/mysql which might be sufficient (it is,
if after compiling there is a directory where my.cnf resides)

Greetings
 Ralf

sql query

--