Hi!

You can run multiple servers on any Windows version with any MySQL version.
They must NOT share any data, .frm, or log files.

Below Miguel explains how with MySQL-4.0.2 you can run multiple instances
also as Windows services.

For any MySQL version you can do like this:

You have to create a separate my.cnf file for each instance, configure a
different port number for each instance, and start each mysqld instance from
an MS-DOS prompt like this:

> mysqld --defaults-file=your_path_to_the_my_cnf_of_this_instance --console

You can use the mysql.exe client to query each instance like this:

> mysql --defaults-file=your_path_to_the_my_cnf_of_the_instance

Below is the relevant portion of the my.cnf file of a slave mysqld in my own
Windows computer. The master uses the default port number of mysqld, 3306. I
have set the slave port number to a different value, 3308.

[mysqld]
port=3308
master-host=omnibook
master-user=slaveuser
master-password=slaveuser
master-port=3306
server-id=2
basedir=c:/slave
datadir=c:/slave/data
innodb_data_home_dir=e:/ibdataslave
innodb_data_file_path=ibdata4:10M:autoextend
innodb_log_group_home_dir=c:/slave/data
innodb_log_arch_dir=c:/slave/data

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
---
Order technical MySQL/InnoDB support at https://order.mysql.com/
See http://www.innodb.com for the online manual and latest news on InnoDB

Copied message from Miguel:
At 19:07 25/7/2002 -0700, Bhavin Vyas wrote:
Hi,

> From what little I know of MySql on Windows, it runs as a service and you
>can't run multiple services on the same Win Server.

<cut>

 From 4.0.2 release you are able to run several services. For example:

For to run two services: the first one using mysqld-nt.exe and the
second one using the mysqld-max-nt.exe.

Installing mysqld-nt.exe

command at the prompt:
mysqld-nt --install

or

mysqld-nt --install-manual

Installing mysqld-max-nt.exe

command at the prompt:

mysqld-max-nt --install mysqldopt

or

mysqld-max-nt --install-manual mysqldopt

Now you have the default service called mysql for to run mysqld-nt.exe
and the service mysqldopt for to run mysqld-max-nt.exe.

Now you edit the /winnt/my.ini file:

[mysqld] #for to set the server mysqld-nt.exe
port=3306
basedir=c:/mysql
datadir=c:/mysql/data

[mysqldopt] #for to set the server mysqld-max-nt.exe the same name of
              #the service
port=3307
basedir=c:/mysql
datadir=d:/mysqldopt/data
skip-innodb
skip-bdb

Notes:

1- You can use the same basedir but not the same executable.
2- You must to have a different datadir (the whole directory) for
    each server. You can't to mix the mysql database and the working
    databases.
3- You need to have a different port.

In this way for example you can use one server as master and the other
as slave on the same machine; of course both handling the same type of
tables. In the example above only MyISAM tables.

Regards,
--
For technical support contracts, visit https//order.mysql.com

   /  |/  /    /   /    \/ /    Miguel Angel Solórzano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  / /| / / // /\ \/ / / / /     MySQL AB, Fulltime Developer
/ /  / /\ , /   /\   \ \   /   São Paulo - Brazil
        <   /   www.mysql.com