k....

This is seems ridiculous to me,.. but i'll let you tell me if i'm just being
stubborn.

So, one of my associates has made a linking table (some people also call it
intersection table, cross tab table, but i believe that the propper way to
model a many to many relationship is via a "linking table"). in the linking
table, there is no primary key defined. I believe that every table must have
a primary key. It is absolutely essential, otherwise you'll get tons of
problems including redundancy, and inconsistency. However, my associate
believes that our coding will ensure that such problems will be avoided and
that it's okay for a table to have no primary key defined. I totally
disagree. Even if our code is perfect, a primary key must be defined.

So, am i correct in being concerned, or am i just being close minded?
If, i'm totally wrong, in what situations is it a good idea, okay, or
benificial to not have a primary key defined for a table?

Thanks

Desmond

(sql)