I am wondering if I can somehow have tables read only at the OS
level and still have MySQL work as normal (at least for SELECTs).
I can make the table files read only, but when I try to select something,
I get the error similar to "your_table.MYD cannot be found".  The funny
thing is if I change the file to read-write, perform a select, and then
change it back to read-only, it will work from then on for that MySQL
session.  Must have something to do with the cache...

If anyone has successfully placed MySQL on a CD or some other read-only
media, I would appreciate any tips.  It looks like I could pack the file
with myisampack and the distribute it (?).

Thanks,
Mike Z