Hi Jon,
Whatever you have suggested so far hasn't worked. I thought that maybe something
is missing in my stating the problem and implementing your suggested solutions.
So here is a more expanded picture of the queries:

$sth=$dbh->prepare("INSERT INTO TABLE1 (id,var1,var2) VALUES (?,?,?)");
$sth->execute("",$var1,$var2);
$sth=$dbh->prepare("SELECT \@t1id:=LAST_INSERT_ID()");
$sth->execute();

$sth=$dbh->prepare("INSERT INTO TABLE1A (Aid,id,var1) VALUES (?, @t1id, $var1);
$sth->execute("","",$var1);

Please take a note that in the last prepare statement I have also tried \@t1id
,"\@t1id", LAST_INSERT_ID(). I have used these in 'execute' statement too with
question marks (?) in the prepare statement.

Any new idea please?

Thanks,
Aamer

> > > Try:
> > > $sth->execute(...);
> > >

> > Sorry for the confusion. Of course I tried the above statement. I took it
> > granted that we would mean the above when we say the following:

> Hrm...
>
> Ah!
>
> If your code is doing a prepare on a statement of the form:
>
> INSERT INTO x VALUES(@t1id, ...)
>
> Then you don't need to give @t1id as a parameter in the execute statement...
> You should only need to provide params to execute for each ? that appears in
> the INSERT statement...
>
> -JF

sql, query