I had put a similar question (that unfortunately never got answered) on
this mailing list and so I have pondered about this problem also. The
way I see it, delayed_insert_timeout doesn't do any good here because it
only determines how long an idle (with no pending jobs) insert delayed
thread will hang around before it decides to terminate due to lack of
customers. It has nothing to do with how long it waits to try and insert
tuples into a locked table.

To support this claim, here's an excerpt from the INSERT DELAYED section
of the MySQL manual:
"When the handler has no more rows in its queue, the table is unlocked.
If no new INSERT DELAYED commands are received within
delayed_insert_timeout seconds, the handler terminates."

Juerg