On Wednesday 31 July 2002 05:17 am, Richard Baskett wrote:
> This is my first post here.. So be nice! ;)

OK, no flames ;o).

I'd want a bit more information in order to really diagnose this. The first
thing I would tell you to do is to EXPLAIN this query. To do that just tack
the keyword EXPLAIN onto the beginning of it, this will return you an
explanation of what MySQL's query optimizer has decided to do with the query.
Most likely one or more of your tables are being joined on columns with no
indexes. Generally all the columns mentioned in USING should be indexed. You
might also experiment with indexing of the LocName and JobTitle columns.

Beyond that there are many possibilities. Your table structure is obviously
fairly elaborate, and I suspect fully normalized. You might be forced to
denormalize it some, in other words maybe the stuff in tables like "Location"
will just have to be merged into the parent table even though it means
possibly some duplication of data (but I suspect that at the level of
actually managing your data you probably duplicate it in the child table
already anyhow...).  Denormalization can reduce the numbers of joins enough
to possibly get you a speed improvement.

BTW, why is the 1 in ... VALID = '1' ... quoted? If its an integer then get
rid of the quotes, same for CatID IN ('2'), your just forcing the database
engine to do conversions. If, as I suspect, you are using Perl DBI then try
using bind parameters and explicitly setting the SQL_TYPE. Perl DBI is pretty
dumb about figuring out what data types to use.