Hi Heikki,

Thank you for responding.

> > > (http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html#InnoDB_tuning), but am getting bit
> > > when the log files are full and the buffer pool is checkpointed.
>
> InnoDB does 'fuzzy checkpoints'. That means modified database pages in the
> buffer pool are flushed to disk in small batches. The time when a physical
> log file becomes full does not affect this continuous background
> checkpointing activity, since InnoDB sees all the log files as one catenated
> log file.

That's good to know---so that isn't it.

> The pauses you experience are probably caused by high load in general,
> probably too much disk i/o. You should study your queries, use the InnoDB
> Monitor, watch 'top', adjust buffer pool size, spread disk i/o.

Respectfully, I don't think that's it.  Both times I've seen the
database do this it's been in periods of relatively low traffic.
Until we switched to InnoDB tables, the only times the database was
frozen up like this was when someone did an ill-advised select that
took forever and gummed everything up.  That's the main reason we
switched to InnoDB tables---so a long select wouldn't hold up the db
(by an update blocking, which would block subsequent selects).

In this case, when the (inno-)db was 'pausing', all of the queries in
the (growing) queue looked normal.  And there was a lot of free ram.
I didn't see anything useful in the InnoDB monitor, but then I'm new
to reading it.

Then all of a sudden all queries finished and there were no more in
the queue and the problem didn't recur for five days.  I thought it
must be related to the log files, because when I looked at them it
looked like one was just finished being written to.  (Because its
modification time was the previous minute, while the next (zeroth) log
file was now the active one.)

I know without a repeatable test case, there's not much you can do.
If I get more information I'll let you know.  It helps to hear that
this behavior isn't normal, though.

--Pete
sql