Hi,

I've read the performance tuning tips for InnoDB
(http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html#InnoDB_tuning), but am getting bit
when the log files are full and the buffer pool is checkpointed.

By 'geting bit', I mean for several minutes the db server basically
stops, and our website stops serving pages.  Does anyone have advice
about what we can do to alleviate this?  Instead of having three 150mb
log files, would we be better off with 30 15mb log files?

Our log files are on the same raid array as the data, but would it
really make that much difference to move them to a separate disk?

Alternately, is there a way to trigger this action at night, so we can
avoid it happening during the day?  It shut us down for about five
minutes today.

Details follow.  Many thanks,

--Pete Harlan
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Possibly relevant details:

1. Binary mysql-max-3.23.51-pc-linux-gnu-i686.tar.gz.
2. Linux 2.4.19-rc3, though has happened with other kernels.  Debian woody.
3. Dual Intel 933mhz, 2gb ram, 15krpm scsi raid.

Here's the /etc/my.cnf file we use.  Except for this pausing,
performance is generally great, and we're not disk bound or running
out of ram (500mb free (used for caching) while machine is pausing):

/etc/my.cnf:
[mysqld]
log-slow-queries
skip-locking

innodb_data_home_dir = /usr/local/mysql/data/innodb/data
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:2000M;ibdata2:2000M;ibdata3:50M:autoextend

set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size = 1200M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 20M

innodb_log_group_home_dir = /usr/local/mysql/data/innodb/logs
innodb_log_arch_dir = /usr/local/mysql/data/innodb/logs
innodb_log_archive = 0
set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group = 3

set-variable = innodb_log_file_size = 150M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size = 4M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 0
set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads = 4
set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout = 50

set-variable = record_buffer = 1M
set-variable = sort_buffer = 2M

set-variable = key_buffer=150M
set-variable = tmp_table_size=4M
set-variable = table_cache=500

set-variable = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
set-variable = thread_cache=8
set-variable = thread_concurrency=4

default-table-type=InnoDB

set-variable = long_query_time=5