filter fodder: sql, query

Hi all,
I feel like I am probly being amazingly stupid, but here goes nothing.

I have 3 tables:
"students"
"undergrads"
"postgrads"

"students" holds all common info. eg dt_matric, dob, religion, etc.
undergrads hold eg. degree, subject
postgrads holds eg. transfer_date, thesis_title

What I need to do is something like this (it does _not_ work):
set @acyear:='2001';
select students.course_yr, students.dt_start, students.surname,
qual_types.abbrv, qual_subjects.name
from  students, if ( students.st_type='PG',postgrads, undergrads), qual_types,
qual_subjects
where (postgrads.qskey=qual_subjects.qsid
and    postgrads.qtkey=qual_types.qtid
and    postgrads.studentkey=students.studentid)
or    (undergrads.qskey=qual_subjects.qsid
and    undergrads.qtkey=qual_types.qtid
and    undergrads.studentkey=students.studentid)
and   students.studentid=4;

how in "£$%"£$ name can I do this?

Donna