Yuri,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yuri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Heikki Tuuri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2002 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: InnoDB on FreeBSD-Alpha problem

> Heikki,
> > > I get the mysqld compiling/running
> > > ok. DB dump is restored ok locally.
> > > Locally everything wirks. But it
> >
> > what do you mean with this? If you issue SQL statements from the same
> > computer, they work ok?
> Exactly. If I connect via local UNIX socket all
> happily works.
> If I just connect via network it crashes right away.
> > If this only happens in an incoming network connection, then probably
> > your
> > network library is buggy. In Compaq Alpha C and C++ variables have to
> > be
> > aligned to machine addresses divisible by 4 or 8, which is not required
> > in
> > Intel x86. Looks like some variable in the library is not aligned.
> It's no such thing as "network library" in FreeBSD. It's
> networking support in kernel. And it's perfectly ok.
> Whole bunch of other apps work w/out any problems.
> MySQL server app is crashing.
>
> It only started when I enabled InnoDB at compile time.
> Before it was no such problem.
>
> So somewhere I guess they mangle with addresses and use
> unaligned one. It happens on *network* level. So even
> telnet connection on 3306 crashes it. Not even in logon phase.
> Or early in logon phase.
>
> So it's a bug in MySQL somewhere. I will try to troubleshoot it
> down to the source code line.

if you can compile with the gcc -g option and run mysqld inside gdb, then
you probably see in what function and line it crashes.

If you just take a connection to mysqld, it does not execute InnoDB code at
all. So the bug is probably in the network code of MySQL or the libraries
involved, for example, glibc. I guess that libraries are always involved in
network communication. The kernel API is more primitive.

> Yuri.

Regards,

Heikki