----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith C. Ivey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:50:39 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: insert command

> On 21 Aug 2002, at 4:27, Joseph Grundy wrote:
>
> > I need to know if there is a way to do a simple insert from a .txt
> > file, using insert and only populate one column. Its a streamline db
> > and I want to enter only a few of the columns.
> >
> > I have exported all data into txt files at this point. I can not find
> > any mention on mysql's site other than doing all rows or leaving /n
> > spots with 3000 records and 35 columns can take a bit of time
>
> If I'm understanding what you want correctly, you need to either
> (1) preprocess your text file (with a line or two of Perl or whatever
> you use for manipulating text files) to remove the columns you don't
> want or (2) import all the columns and just drop the ones you don't
> want.
>
> In the special case where the columns you do want happen to be the
> ones at the start of each line, then you should be able to import
> them with LOAD DATA without modifying the text file.
>
> --
> Keith C. Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Tobacco Documents Online
> http://tobaccodocuments.org

I have the text files created.

Example I have a table created lets say prices, in table prices
there are 15 columns named 1 through 15. I want to be able to
populate one column say 8 with data I exported from a column
in a different database, using the txt file. Instead of populating
by row.

I was seeing if there was a way other than
nulling all columns but that one I wanted the data to go into.
To put 2000 records directly into column 8 as above.

Thanks

Joseph.