----- Original Message -----
From: "DL Neil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:51:24 +0100
To: "Joseph Grundy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: insert command

> Joseph,
>
> > I need to know if there is a way to do a simple insert from a
.txt file,
> using insert and only populate one column. Its a streamline db and
I want to
> enter only a few of the columns.
> >
> > I have exported all data into txt files at this point. I can not
find any
> mention on mysql's site other than doing all rows or leaving /n
spots with
> 3000 records and 35 columns can take a bit of time
>

> Are you trying to limit:
> - columns (first para)
> - rows (second para), or
> - both.
>
> The manual (6.4.9 LOAD DATA INFILE) says "If you wish to load only
some of a
> table's columns, specify a field list"
>
> Alternatively, load the lot into a table, then ALTER the table to
drop
> unneeded columns - the 'extra' loading time will be unlikely to be
> noticeable.
>
> Regards,
> =dn

Another way to say it
I have an old DB with 30 columns in it. I want to remove a few
columns of data from that one
and insert it into the new db. I have exported the columns needed
into txt files

The question is populating the new db with to the proper columns, the
empty colums will be taken care
of at a later time and info is updated. Only a few is needed at the
moment.

Thanks
Joseph