A couple of weeks ago I came across this error which effectively closed down
our site.

Two things:
(1) I am using Perl DBI to interface mySQL is there any way to effectively
capture such errors and provide an alternate web page?  I guess there has to
be, but I experimented with the 'PrintError' and 'RaiseError' with little
joy.

(2) At present our MySQL needs are provided by our ISP by means of a shared
server (dedicated to MySQL I think!).  The 'max_connections' variable (SHOW
VARIABLES) is currently set to 300, which seems a bit on low side for a
server with 770 databases (SHOW DATABASES) with I don't know how many
tables.
What causes this error, 'any' connection, admin type connections, etc.?
And does this error require a server/mysqld restart on the part of our ISP?
They were typically unhelpful when I spoke to them (hope that's not due to
ignorance.)

Have been looking at dedicated hosting for a while now, but finding the cash
and moreover the time to move is proving a slow process.

Any help gratefully Rx'd,
Tom.