Hey all, i'm trying to setup a system in which a slave takes over as master in the
case the master dies.
we're using innodb w/ databases of about 500 megs, so scp/rsyncing those every night
is a pretty daunting task, not to mention we can never be sure that the secondary DB
has the most recent data. so, i'm going to setup mysql a mysql slave and have it copy
all of the data in that manner.

theres some concerns i have though, of course. when the master dies, the slave throws
in a new my.cnf and starts up as a master; thats fine. but what about when the
original master comes back up? the secondary/backup database could have had INSERTs to
it, so the original master must sync those. my solution is just to have the original
master startup as a slave to the new master.
eventually, everything will sync up. but when? how do i know, and how can i test this?
when it does, id like everything to switch back.

perhaps theres not a way via mysql commands/variables to do this.. is there a specific
file structure i could test for? like checking file sizes/existence of files in
mysql's data/ directory?

also, when switching masters, what exactly is required? from searching some archives,
it seems like i just need to remove master.info && hostname.index, and then RESET
MASTER on the master:

'a' is primary/master
'b' is secondary/slave

a goes down, b restarts as a master
a comes back up,
        rm's its master.info && hostname.index files
        executes "RESET MASTER" on b
        starts up as a slave to dopey

does this sound right? am i going to run into problems are there any other steps that
should be added, particularly since we use InnoDB tables?

has/is anyone else setting up similar functionality? I noticed linux-ha, but this isnt
exactly what im looking for.. anybody have anything more generalized?
ill share my results with the list, if i finish it in time..

thanks,

-tom