> Can anyone help me please.

Need more information, I think.

> I am a UK lawyer and I have a client accused of concealing theft of cash by
> sending invoices to this date (so the accounts software wouldn't report the
> sale and discrepancy between stock and receipts would not be noticed).

Technical details -- using what system? Where and under what conditions do
the dates appear, and what software/systems would have processed them?

> There are strong reasons for thinking he would not be able to do this.

Such as?

> Can someone explain what can cause this date to appear without a user
> inputting it

I, myself, don't recognize it as the result of a common error. If the
battery for the calendar/clock in the systems I am familiar with
suddenly failed, the dates you would get would be in the 1970s, 1904,
maybe 1900. That does not mean that some custom function someone wrote
would not use that particular date as a default date for some reason.

One thought, deliberately setting the system clock back leaves a lot of
footprints, and it would usually take an administrator's account, a fair
amount of knowledge of the system, and and a few minutes with a search
tool to erase them all.

But there are lots of other ways to get bad dates into records.

--
Joel Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

sql, query