Hello.

On Wed 2002-08-28 at 09:19:46 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[...]
> serious.  It becomes harmful to MySQL in general when a release that was
> once predicted in 2001, becomes no where in sight in late 2002.

Do you (all) realize you can only complain about this (falling so far
from their prediction), because they happened to give out some
estimate in the first place?

Sounds only reasonable to me to try to avoid the same situation by not
giving out estimations to begin with.

[...]
> I realize that developments of this nature are unpredictable, and no
> one expects perfect estimates - but a clearer idea of what's going
> on and range of possible expectations would go a long way to help
> those of us that argue against the advocates of those "serious"
> DBMS's.  Of course I still think MySQL is an outstanding and
> "serious" product, but a little more help in convincing others would
> be appreciated.

I think the difference to conventional products it that MySQL AB
strives to only ship a stable release, when the lack of bug reports
shows that it is stable, while a lot of other vendors ship on a (maybe
once shifted) release date, no matter what (some of them may have good
reasons to do so).

Regards,

        Benjamin.

--