Hello.

On Wed 2002-08-28 at 17:16:59 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >Do you (all) realize you can only complain about this (falling so far
> >from their prediction), because they happened to give out some
> >estimate in the first place?
> >
> >Sounds only reasonable to me to try to avoid the same situation by not
> >giving out estimations to begin with.
>
> The first time I tried to ride a bike, I fell down and skinned my knee.
> Following your logic, I should have quit there.

Your analogy is screwed, because it implies, that you will have
success in the end (given the time). For example, take something like
jumping from a high tree in a try to learn flying and read your
example again.

(By that I do not mean to imply that fullfilling an estimation is as
likely as being able to fly).

> I am going to try and make this point one last time...

Oh, I think I completely understand what point you are trying to make.

[...]
> If you've ever been made to sit in a doctor's examining room in your
> skivvies for an extended period of time -- you know what I mean.
> When the nurse left you and said the doctor would be right with you,
> the expectation was set.  After thirty minutes shivering on the
> table, you are angry... not because you suspect the doctor is
> goofing off, but because you have no way of guessing if it will be 5
> or 30 more minutes.  If the nurse checked back in periodically and
> explained that the doctor was dealing with a serious situation and
> would be with you when he could, you would likely feel better (even
> if every time she pushed back the ETA for the doctor).

Without going into another simplification, just note, that I prefer if
she would simply tell me that she has no clue, when the doctor will be
ready. Had such a setting more than once. I presume everone had.

Bye,

        Benjamin.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]