Aye Arthur this is a different experince then what I had with Access and
MySQL. I guess my main reason for not using is because I personally dont
really need to. Nothing against you or anyone using it but to me it always
seemed to be a bit cumbersum, just my feelings.

I wish I had some e-mails I've seen about the downside of using Access for
a front end (I know I've seen some, but can't find em). I know this topic
has been discussed before. But if it works for you great!

And for your previous e-mail about the queries you are right that a lot of
them will work if you leave them in access, but if you plan on taking them
out then a lot of them may need some fine tunning for MySQL. Again,
whatever works for you.

My interpratation from Jon's original e-mail was that he had VB Forms and
the like in access (using vba) and was planning on moving those out of it
perhaps I was wrong. But if I read it right then my original feelings
still stand that you should not go through access to get to mysql from a
program. That would be kinda silly if you asked me, but thats besides the
point.

Glad you came along and pointed out another side Arthur. I guess it all
comes down to what you find works for you as there are A LOT of options
out there with no real "correct" way.

-Nick

p.s. Why is this needed:
>adding a column of type TimeStamp to every table in
>the database. This is necessary so that you can read auto-increment
>values.

Just curious  :)

> That has not been my experience, in fact my experience has been
completely
> the opposite. As my first test case I ported the Northwind sample
database
> to MySQL. I had to make a few changes here and there, most notably to
some
> queries, but also including (and I forgot to mention this in my previous
> reply on this subject) adding a column of type TimeStamp to every table
in
> the database. This is necessary so that you can read auto-increment
values.

> Next, I took my current app, with about 94 tables, and ported it. The
> production app is in MS SQL 2000, but I wanted to port it because I
wanted a
> proof-of-concept to show management. The absence of sprocs was a big
problem
> (come on, 4.1 :-) but I worked around it. No one but me and a few
testers is
> using this version. The production app remains in MS SQL.
>
> Finally, I took my killer-database, whose tables number 400+.
Fortunately,