At 20:05 -0700 8/28/02, neal wrote:
>Alright ... I figured it out (sort of)...
>
>When I created a user account I put the value '%' in the host field of the
>mysql.user table.  I was following the example of the root account that was
>already specified in the table. Apparently if I make that if I change that
>'%' to 'localhost' its fine.

This indicates that when you specified no password, you were being
authenticated
as the anonymous user in the user table that has a Host value of localhost
and a User value of ''.  That's a more specific entry than % + bob.

Once you change your acount from % + bob to localhost + bob, it matches
your connection attempt and then you get connected as bob, not as
the anonymous user.

>I don't really understand why but it fixed it...

Read the section in the MySQL manual that describes how MySQL sorts
user table entries when it compares them to incoming connection attempts.