Paul,

Thanks for your  reply. I enjoy reading your book very much
It was very much helpful while development of client in C. I am
embedded system engineer so please correct me if I am misssing anything in
this new DBMS world.

So I understand that there is no mechanism to set priority  between threads.

I want to develop  such mechanism using UDF.

Here are my quesitions.

* Mysql uses pthreads under linux platform , right?

* By default their scheduling algorithm is  SCHED_OTHER , what if I change
it to SCHED_FIFO?

* If I run any User define function(UDF) from client does it run in that
thread's contex?

* Can I change Scheduling algorithm and sheduling priority in UDF (user
define function)?

I guess if I change thread's priority and scheduling algorithm using UDF
then  Thread A can
preempt Thread B inbetween SELECT.......is that correct??

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Regards,
Naushit.

> >I have question  about mysqld theading.
> >
> >I understand that mysqld will have one thread per connection,  is that
> >right??
> >
> >  If thru, Can I assign higher priority to  perticular
> >thread/connection/client ?
>
> No.  You can apply priority modifiers to individual statements,
> but you state below that is not what you want.
>

> >for example , If we have two clients connected to mysqld using
> >Thread A  and Thread B. ( they are using same DB same TABLE).
> >
> >I want  to give higher priority to Thread A then Thread B.
> >By higher priority I mean if  Thread B is doing something(
> >select/update/insert or anything),
> >and if there is some request on Thread A then it should preempt the
Thread B
> >and it should get executed first,  after  Thread A releses resourse
Thread B