When I try to import a large (~180 mb) dump into mysql

  $ mysql -uuser -ppassword db_name < /tmp/all.sql

It dies on me after 2 minutes with this:
ERROR 2006 at line 1283716: MySQL server has gone away

I digged thru the manual, and tried running mysql with the -O
max_allowed_packet=16M option as they suggested. Same thing. Exactly
same line. Always.

I opened up the file in [beep] (a text editor) and can see nothing
wrong at line 1283716. It's the end of the previous insert and start
of a new one.

MySQL version: 3.23.36 under GNU/Linux
uname -r: 2.2.14C10
322,704 bytes of memory