This handles part of the problem but a true load balanced master
solution is needed. There's no real advantage in spending 5, 10 or
$20,000 on a failover master if you can't load balance and the spare
will just sit idle.  Master servers should intelligently talk to each
other and determine duplicate key problems.

You could create an LVS cluster of masters. You would have to write some
hand code to remove a master from the cluster when it is behind so when
a master is brought back up, it's out of the cluster until it has caught
up.  Then toss in some code to sync the downed master with the current
running ones.  Perhaps you could point replication to the LVS IP instead
of a specific machine.  When it comes back up, it will find a valid
master to connect to via LVS, replicate, and then rejoin the
collective... err, cluster. :)  If a host that is currently being a
master to another master goes down, the slave to that master will
reconnect to LVS and find a new host to get data from.

This still leaves the auto_increment problem.

On the slave side however, it's easy.  You can build a cluster of slaves
and probably create a nice script to change weight based upon distance
behind the master.  After a slave falls "so far" behind, it's removed
until it catches back up.

More thoughts are always welcome.

-J