DB independent? As in an entire list of tables in your MySQL server? Or as
in independent from MySQL to say MS SQL Server? If the later then I'm sure
each db as some form of query to get a list of tables, just look it up. I
don't think there would be a unified way simple because each db is
completly different (unless they all use the same "SHOW TABLES" command
which I don't know if they do or not.)
As far as the first way goes you could only do it, as far as I know, in
some form of program.
-Nick

p.s. this really isn't related to MySQL becuase you are asking about other
db's but I thought I would be nice and answer it any how  :)