I seem to have a version problem. I'm using v. 3.23.51 on a Windows
standalone system -- there is no network here. *ALL I want* is to run MySQL
standalone on this machine. So do I need to "start the server"? MySQL seems
to mostly work fine if I just go and do:

C:\mysql\bin> mysql

without "starting the server."

The manual's Windows directions seem to assume a network situation, which is
not my case.

Also of concern is that when I inquire about version as follows I get "for
Win95/Win98" although I'm using Win XP (Home).

--------------------
C:\mysql\bin>mysql --version
mysql  Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.51, for Win95/Win98 (i32)

C:\mysql\bin>mysqld --version
mysqld  Ver 3.23.51-max-debug for Win95/Win98 on i32
--------------------

One thing that's currently NOT working is the following command:

--------------------
LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE "C:\\MO10.txt"
INTO TABLE stud1
   fields terminated by "/"
   lines terminated by '\r\n';

That produces:

"ERROR 1148 at line 1: The used command is not allowed with this MySQL
version."

That's what's making me wonder about version issues. I've checked the manual
and see no other reason for that message.

Also, per advice here, I tried putting local-infile=1 in the [mysqld] and
[mysql] sections of my.cnf(my.ini), but that does not change the behavior.

Help would be appreciated!

Uriel