Using WinXP Home's "Computer Management" utility (which you get via:

Start / Settings / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer
Management),

I can see, under

"Services and Applications" / Services,

that MySQL's "startup type" is "Automatic". I didn't set this so apparently
this is what happens automatically on normal install of MySQL onto WinXP
Home (or maybe on running WinMySQLAdmin the first time). The command being
run is "C:\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt".

I want to have manual startup/shutdown but still am not sure of the
appropriate way to do this.

The "Computer Management" utility allows me to stop the service and/or
change the service startup type to manual or "disabled." Is "disabled" the
same as removing the service?

Is there some other way to have the MySQL server running on a standalone Win
system other than as a service? Which way is appropriate for standalone?

Given that I want manual startup and shutdown and am running standalone,
should I disable/remove the service? After doing that, how should I start
and stop the server? The manual says that under NT you do:

NET START mysql
NET STOP mysql

but only when mysqld is installed as a service.