This is for anyone out there storing Japanese characters along with
English characters.

SUMMARY:
The client recently requested that Japanese be stored in an otherwise
standard English (Latin) MySQL database. Whereas all rows in the table
used to be Latin only, now some rows store Latin and some store
Japanese. I do not mix English with Japanese in the same row. Upon
writing Japanese data to the database (web form -> ASP -> MyODBC), and
then viewing the record on a web page (Shift-Jis), I discover that
random Japanese characters are being 'morphed' into other, seemingly
random, Japanese characters, and very occasionally, 'morphed' into a
Latin character (so far just the letter "t"). With the exception of
these few, random characters, all the Japanese data looks fine *when
displayed on a web page*. This is a standard install of MySQL version
3.23.38-nt (on Windows 2000 SP2) - support for Japanese characters is
installed by default, I assume. I also store Chinese and Korean
characters in the same table, and those character sets are diplayed
without error.

Question 1. If I were to pull the Japanese rows out and put them in a
separate table - what do I do to the table to 'configure' it as storing
sjis characters without setting the default character set to the entire
database?

Question 2. How do I view Japanese records in the command line *in
Japanese* to eliminate the possiblity that the culprit is somewhere
outside of MySQL, for example: Microsoft IIS or ASP or MyODBC?

Question 3. How do I tell which charset MySQL is using, euc-jis or
s-jis?

Sincerely,
Dawn Friedland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]