Hi!

Ben> There are probably other functions that need to be made private, too.. but
Ben> this one's directly affecting me.
Ben> I'm writing a shared library that loads libmysqlclient; When Solaris 'csh'
Ben> uses said library, there's a clash between csh (and/or one of the libs it
Ben> uses) and MySQL's 'strend' function.  'strend' will not return proper values
Ben> under these circumstances, preventing me from even connecting to the server
Ben> on intel, and, worse, core-dumping under sparc.  Can you take a peek at
Ben> this?  I'll provide more info if necessary.

strend() is a function we use a lot in the MySQL client code and is
thus included in the libmysqlclient library.

I can't see how csh could affect this in any way as csh doesn't have
anything directly to do with shared libraries.  (Except of course if
you are trying to load a shared library inside csh).using a patched csh

Which public library is it that has a conflicting function ?
(I have used Solaris a lot and never seen this problem before)

What is it that core dumps;  csh or your application ?
Does your application work if you are running 'sh' ?

Ben> FWIW I renamed the function to _strend, recompiled/installed, and my
Ben> problems went away...

Regards,
Monty

--