I was about to email bugs/lists back today to basically say I've found a
reasonable workaround.. I'll respond to your message though in case you see
something that needs attention ...

> strend() is a function we use a lot in the MySQL client code and is
> thus included in the libmysqlclient library.

Yeah I've come to realize this .. the 'mysql' client binary started
complaining about not finding strend :-)

> I can't see how csh could affect this in any way as csh doesn't have
> anything directly to do with shared libraries.  (Except of course if
> you are trying to load a shared library inside csh).using a patched csh

I'm writing an NSS library, so when csh does ~username expansion, calling
getpwnam, the system automatically loads my library in order to find the
user in MySQL.  csh itself has nothing to do with loading the library.

> Which public library is it that has a conflicting function ?
> (I have used Solaris a lot and never seen this problem before)

I don't know, actually.  I haven't been able to find it since everything's
stripped and whatnot.  I may just not be using the right tools to find it.
I tried running nm/ldd to find it to no avail.

> What is it that core dumps;  csh or your application ?
> Does your application work if you are running 'sh' ?

The error happens inside the MySQL client library (since the library starts
using the wrong 'strend'), filtering back down to 'csh' which then dumps.
tcsh, bash, etc work fine.. it's only csh.

I've managed to get around the problem by linking my library with '-B group'
in order to keep the symbols from leaking around where they shouldn't be.  I
found that there were other symbols being stomped on, too .. so it wasn't
just 'strend' anymore .. so my workaround seems the best choice.. and I
guess we can consider the matter resolved...
Thanks!

    -=| Ben