At 9:35 +0200 9/23/02, David Bordas wrote:
>Hi list,
>
>I still have performance problem with my big MyISAM table.
>In fact, mysql keep locking my table, even for doing select :(

That's how MyISAM works -- it uses table locks for everything.
Given that fact, if it didn't lock the table for reading, that would
allow other clients to update the table at the same time -- leading
to disastrous results.

>I don't know why but it's very very annoying.
>1% of my query are search ones.
>Theses queries are slow, too slow.
>
>So i'm thinking about splitting my table to lot of little tables.
>Can i have around 5000 Tables under the same database ?
>Or should i keep my big table and do not split ?

You might want to try converting the table to InnoDB instead.
That's a lot easier to try that creating thousands of tables.