The developer in my software house put this message...

Hi,

   I had been using mySql for a long time in lots of different
   computers, but now I had a strange problem and I would like to know
   if anyone can send me a message to help me solving the problem.

   I installed mySql 3.23.49 on a Dell PowerEdge 2400 with 1Gb RAM,
   dual processor, RAID 3 and Windows 2000 Server. Unfortunately, the
   machine was freezing every day, and some times twice a day. Some
   times, and really frequently, mySql was stopping execution showing
   the message on the screen: "The memory could not be
   read ... mysqld-max-nt.exe". Well, it was clear for me that the
   problem was the machine, then I called DELL Suport Services and
   they said to me that they would send me, by e-mail, some drivers
   and firmwares updates. I received it and they gave me instructions
   to install everything they sent. After that, the problems was the
   same. Then they came to the office and replaced my old RAM for new
   ones. Well, the problem wasn't solved, but the computer became a
   little bit better, freezing less. But it still freezing! The
   next step done by Dell was replacing the motherboard, and as
   before, the problem wasn't solved, but the machine became a little
   bit better, freezing less. Now the machine could work an entire
   week without freezing, but it still freezing.

   The worst problem I had using that machine was losing data. I was
   using myIsam tables and, of course, I could not expect all the data
   was in the disk when the machine freezes. After all this, I stoped
   using mySqld-max-nt and started using mySqld-nt, and I don't know
   why I had no new problems with data lost.

   Another problem I had using myIsam is that when any user starts a
   select command and it takes long time to finish, all other users
   that was inserting or updating data have to wait. The users was
   asking for a solution for it, and the only way I could find was
   converting to innoDb table. And I was hopping that it could solve
   this problems and also, bring safety to my data, because innoDb
   supports transactions. Then I installed mySql 3.23.52, back using
   mySqld-max-nt and changed my tables to innoDb to use transactions,
   believing my data would be safe after a COMMIT statement. But for
   my surprise, the machine did not freeze and I lost 1 record that
   was inside a begin...commit statemant. The most strange is that
   other records inserted in the same begin...commit was in the disk,
   and only one of that records was lost. My application just insert
   data into that table, and there is not delete or update command
   that could cause it.

   This server is used by 25 users and the database is composed by 40
   tables. Some tables have up to 1.5 million records and all database
   has about 10 million records. All tables have up to 20 indexes and
   using myIsam it gets 4 GB (or 16 GB using innoDb).

   =======================================
   my.cnf used when all tables was myIsam:
   =======================================

[client]
#password=my_password
port=3306
#socket=MySQL

[mysqld]
port=3306
#socket=MySQL
skip-locking
default-character-set=latin1

set-variable = key_buffer              = 256M
set-variable = join_buffer             = 16M
set-variable = myisam_sort_buffer_size = 256M
set-variable = sort_buffer             = 128M
set-variable = record_buffer           = 8M
set-variable = max_allowed_packet      = 20M
set-variable = max_connections         = 500
set-variable = flush_time              = 2000

#set-variable = thread_cache            = 8
#set-variable = thread_concurrency      = 16
#set-variable = thread_stack            = 128K
#set-variable = table_cahe              = 512

#set-variable = interactive_timeout     = 300
#set-variable = wait_timeout            = 300

basedir = e:/mysql/
datadir = e:/mysql/data/

[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable = max_allowed_packet = 20M

#[mysql]
#no-auto-rehash

[isamchk]
set-variable = key_buffer    = 256M
set-variable = sort_buffer   = 256M
set-variable = read_buffer   = 8M
set-variable = write_buffer  = 8M

[myisamchk]
set-variable = key_buffer    = 256M
set-variable = sort_buffer   = 256M
set-variable = read_buffer   = 8M
set-variable = write_buffer  = 8M

   my.cnf used when it was changed to innoDb:

[client]
#password=my_password
port=3306
#socket=MySQL

[mysqld]
port=3306
#socket=MySQL
skip-locking
default-character-set=latin1

set-variable = key_buffer              = 16M
set-variable = join_buffer             = 16M
set-variable = myisam_sort_buffer_size = 256M
set-variable = sort_buffer             = 16M
set-variable = record_buffer           = 8M
set-variable = max_allowed_packet      = 20M
set-variable = max_connections         = 500
#set-variable = flush_time              = 2000

#set-variable = thread_cache            = 8
#set-variable = thread_concurrency      = 16
#set-variable = thread_stack            = 128K
#set-variable = table_cahe              = 512

#set-variable = interactive_timeout     = 300
#set-variable = wait_timeout            = 300

innodb_data_home_dir = e:\mysql\innodb
innodb_log_group_home_dir = e:\mysql\innodb
innodb_log_arch_dir = e:\mysql\innodb
innodb_data_file_path =
ibdata1:2G;ibdata2:2G;ibdata3:2G;ibdata4:2G;ibdata5:2G;ibdata6:2G;ibdata7:2G;ibdata8:2G;ibdata9:2G;ibdata10:2G:autoextend

set-variable = innodb_mirrored_log_groups=1
set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=175M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=16M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=2
innodb_log_archive=0
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=500M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=30M
set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads=6
set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50

basedir = e:/mysql/
datadir = e:/mysql/data/

[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable = max_allowed_packet = 20M

#[mysql]
#no-auto-rehash

[isamchk]
set-variable = key_buffer    = 256M
set-variable = sort_buffer   = 256M
set-variable = read_buffer   = 8M
set-variable = write_buffer  = 8M

[myisamchk]
set-variable = key_buffer    = 256M
set-variable = sort_buffer   = 256M
set-variable = read_buffer   = 8M
set-variable = write_buffer  = 8M

  ++  Dyego Souza do Carmo   ++           Dep. Desenvolvimento
                 E S C R I B A   I N F O R M A T I C A
The only stupid question is the unasked one (somewhere in Linux's HowTo)
Linux registred user : #230601
--
$ look into "my eyes"
look: cannot open my eyes