From: "Gerben Gieling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Michael T. Babcock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "David Lloyd"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Adam Parker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 12:54 PM
Subject: RE: MySQL as a desktop DB

The combination of Access front end with MySQL or PostgreSQL works
great. However there is a disadvantage in using Microsoft Office
applications. If you use Visual Basic code to program the behaviour of
your front end (You probably will). The front end will run great until
the next major update of MSOffice. It will again make a lot of changes
without backward compatibility. This needn't be a problem If you are in
control of the migration. But, if your IT department decides to migrate
to a new version of MS Office catching you unprepared, your database
will be without functional or with a misbehaving front end until you fix
the code.

I quit using Access and migrated my front end to Apache/PHP running on
the same (linux) server as the database (an old pc found in the trashbin
because it wasn't fast enough to run windows 95).