MySQL is much faster that Access when dealing with large databases.
However, 300,000 records is actually quite small, so you may not see any
speed difference. I wouldn't be surprised if Access would even be faster
at that level.
Putting 10 times that amount of records or adding users would
considerably slow Access, but probably wouldn't slow MySQL much.
I haven't used Access in a long time, but I do remember helping people
speed up their Access databases. Usually they created a relational
database using the Access wizards, which resulted in a poor design and
poor index placement. So the database, while fast at first, would slow
as it grew.
With any database, you really need to focus on good database design to
get good speed.

I once created a database in FoxBase that had a table with 1.5 million
records. Query times were in the 1-2 second response time. And that was
with 10 users running on a 66Mhz "server" computer. The only way I got
that speed was through indexes.

--
Brent Baisley
Systems Architect