I would highly recommend a simple design:

1) Create a large filesystem on your drive(s) using ReiserFS (because of fast file
finding capabilities).
2) Create a table that has one entry per image with an auto_increment primary key.
3) Insert a new record every time you 'store' an image, grab the last_insert_id() and
store the image as "/{reiserfs path}/{last_insert_id()}.png".

Retrieving these images is as simple as making a DB query for the primary key ID and
then opening that image number.  This has the added advantage of not needing to do any
conversions on the data to open the files with external programs.

> We have 125 million smallish images (each one is tens of KB, produced

>> gene sequencing machines).  Currently we store these in tarfiles and
>> index the images (the offset in the tar file) using an Oracle
>
>> What we're contemplating now is keeping images in the database, and
>

> this

>> re-design is estimated at 5-10TB of (Oracle) database.  Does anyone
>

> have

>> a comparable situation, in MySQL or any other realm?  As well as
>> Oracle we use MySQL heavily, partly because it's open source
>

> philosophy

Oh yeah, SQL .... Query ...

--
Michael T. Babcock