From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:41:23 +0800 (WST)

   I've got a problem with HEAP tables (undoubtedly the way
   that I'm using them).

   I'm running MySQL v.3.23.51 under Debian Linux with a
   2.4.17 kernel.

   If anyone can help clear some of the fog, I'd appreciate it !!

I've just spent some time trying HEAP tables to see if they speed up
my prime application.  Surprisingly, they do not.  While HEAP tables
are in memory, the disk buffering for MyISAM tables in Linux 2.4 works
so well that MyISAM consistantly was about 1.4 times faster.

It may be an artifact of the table storage system here, I keep a big
archive and pull blocks out.  Those blocks are entered daily, so the
archive tends to keep the block data together.  Pulling out a block
into a HEAP table isn't faster than reading the archive because the
archive's block is in the linux disk buffer now.  Pulling a block into
a MyISAM table is faster that reading the archive.

So if you've chosen HEAP tables because they might be faster, it may
be worth it to check that belief.

--
mysql, query