I am a MySQL newbie and i am somewhat confused. Firstly did I make a mistake running
mysql_install_db and afterwards running the commands;

/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root  password 'new-password'

mysqladmin -u pazin1 sqlpass

and;

/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h cords-orj86jfje  password 'new-password'

mysqladmin -u pazin1 -h hostpass

After inputting these passwords as I was told by mysql_install_db was this absolutely
necessary or did I make my life more difficult as a newbie. Anyway after doing that I
followed more instructions from p.115 of my MySQL Reference manual written by
Mr.Widenius. From your advice I was able to get some results for the mysqlshow
command; I don't know where the test database came from I did not see it from the
result in my Reference Manual;

cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin # mysqlshow -u pazin1
+-----------+
| Databases |
+-----------+
| mysql     |
| test      |
+-----------+
cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin # mysqlshow -u sqlpass
+-----------+
| Databases |
+-----------+
| mysql     |
| test      |
+-----------+
cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin # mysqlshow -u hostpass
+-----------+
| Databases |
+-----------+
| mysql     |
| test      |
+-----------+

then when I enter what one person told me to enter I get this;

cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin # mysqlshow -u pazin1 -p sqlpass
Enter password:
mysqlshow: Access denied for user: 'pazin1@localhost' (Using password: YES)
cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin #

(regardless of what password I entered I was continously kicked out)

I would also like use the mysqladmin version command to see what pops up but I simply
get no results no matter what I type in;

cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin # mysqladmin version
cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin # mysqladmin version -u hostpass
cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin # mysqladmin version -u pazin1
cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin # mysqladmin version -u sqlpass
cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin # mysqladmin version -u pazin1 -p sqlpass

I would also like to know how to shut down the mysql server,how do i do this, it does
not seem to want to shut down;

cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin # mysqladmin -u pazin1 shutdown
cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin # safe_mysqld &
[1] 1404
cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin # A mysqld process already exists

Thanks, DeNewbie

P.S. I am using SuSe Linux 7.3 and I am using the latest MySQL binary rpm downloads
ver 3.23 .